Robert & Shauna Valentine Family

Robert Young Valentine and Shauna Burgon Valentine met at BYU, fell in love and were married in 1967. They have lived in Provo, Utah; Durham and Laurinburg, North Carolina; and, for nearly three decades in Lincoln, Nebraska. Bob and Shauna moved back to Utah in 2004 into a new home in Highland. They have five grown children, Christopher, Lisa, Gina, James and Amanda and a lot of grandchildren. Enjoy news and photos of our growing family. Send comments, too. Stay in touch!

Friday, October 5, 2007

Happy Birthday James Burgon Valentine, Rock Star



Happy Birthday James! Here are some memories from your brother Chris and sisters Lisa, Gina and Amanda!

Chris: I remember playing Star Wars figures and Hot Wheels together. We built forts, went on missions, took hostages, etc. We spent hours perfecting the physics of complex Hot Wheels jumps so that the cars would land just right. At age 3 or 4, I remember him flying down Park Avenue in Lincoln on the little green bike with training wheels and the fixed pedals on the front wheel (the one I rode when I was 3 or 4) with his feet in the air because the pedals were spinning so fast. He would only stop before rolling into 27th street by crashing on the front lawn--a practice that he would continue for many years.

Lisa: The best thing about James as a child was his unbridled energy (that I now see in Owen and Zane). My favorite memories of James include him fighting and swinging with his whole body as Chris held his head at an arm's distance, never getting touched, and Chris egging him to come "get him," and James, like a bull, would run head-first into the wall because Chris had gently stepped out of the way at the last minute. I also see him screaming down Park Avenue on his bike, with a helmet, thank goodness, and crashing into that poor, little tree in front of our house because he hadn't learned to stop. I also loved that when I babysat him he would call me a "cold-hearted ogre" and wouldn't go to bed. So I beat him. I also remember coming home from dates while he was sleepwalking, and that was always amusing (but not to mom). As I got older, I loved to see his enthusiastic reaction as I brought home boys who played in cool bands and talked music with him (Yard Apes, Roosevelt Franklin, etc) or let them play their guitars. That was fun because he didn't care that he was thrilled and he showed it. That "expression" was the cutest thing ever! Now I love to see that expression in Miles and Owen when James treats THEM like rockstars! Happy Birthday little brother! Love, the cold-hearted ogre! Lisa

Amanda: James and I used to spend hours listening to music in our rooms. I remember when he went to a summer at the Berkely School of Music and came back with tapes of "jam sessions" with new friend and fellow guitar nerd John Mayer. They were horrible. I remember the day we decided to become DJ'S and scratched up all of our childhood records. James first brought home a Frank Zappa album- that changed my life. James taught me my first song on bass (Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana), which led to my successful musical career. I love you Jimmy!

Gina: I loved watching James go down Park Avenue standing on his BMX bike. Also, I always got a kick out of him and Shane (now Shannon) mock-fighting on the front lawn. But when I think of James, I picture him curled up in his blue blanket w/brown bears on it while we drove to early morning seminary in the stationwagon or reclining in the tan chair watching MTV strumming his guitar as if he were petting the cat.

Dad: I remember when James all of a sudden decided that he would get straight A grades in school. Always bright, he would do his homework but then forget to turn it in. I remember how efficient he became in delivering newspapers in Lincoln to save money for his guitar lessons and nifty bicycle. I most of all remember how kind he was with everyone as a child and teenager. I saw that kindness many years later as he patiently spoke with fans and signed autographs after concerts despite being physically exhausted.

Mom: I remember holding a long, skinny blonde baby boy and feeling so happy I thought my heart would burst. I was grateful to have two boys that could become friend and buddies. I remember how we agreed on the name-- I could say our James was named after my grandfather and Robert could say it was after his grandfather, and we were both right.
What a busy, active, interesting child! My mind is filled with fun active memories of keeping up with the next James adventure. Just to name a few: there was soccer (the beginning of lifelong friendships), karate (well, that one never got off the ground), BMX biking (the adventure of the stolen and recovered bike), fencing (fun times in Kansas City), scouting (chopping hemp in Nebraska heat), baseball (playing in Nebraska heat), and so many wonderful evenings listening to James’ music in schools, homes, hotels, parks, and bars. I also have memories of a kind, happy, optimistic, talented son who attracted and continues to attract good friends of all ages. Happy, happy birthday son; may this be your best year yet!

Happy Birthday James! We love you! Mom, Dad, Chris, Lisa, Gina and Amanda

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a wonderful family? i just wanna say thanks to shauna coz u were born an amazing man.....ciao

October 14, 2007 at 1:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, late birthday, hope it was great! What a great family!

October 20, 2007 at 4:53 PM  
Blogger Pau_m5 said...

Hi im Colombian !!

I hold your birthday too .. I told him when he was in Colombia .... AWSOME !!! THE BEST SHOW EVER !!!! your son is great !!! I love him !!! ...

December 13, 2008 at 11:06 AM  
Blogger humboldt said...

Wonderful family. Keep it up, James, you are a cool guy!

February 17, 2011 at 12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home