Robert & Shauna Valentine Family

Robert Young Valentine and Shauna Burgon Valentine met at BYU, fell in love and were married in 1967. They have lived in Provo, Utah; Durham and Laurinburg, North Carolina; and, for nearly three decades in Lincoln, Nebraska. Bob and Shauna moved back to Utah in 2004 into a new home in Highland. They have five grown children, Christopher, Lisa, Gina, James and Amanda and a lot of grandchildren. Enjoy news and photos of our growing family. Send comments, too. Stay in touch!

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Family Home Evening Message, Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Chile Green Chicken Salad, Shauna's favorite. "Una verde," they shout.
Flauta Bajio salad with black beans, sweet rice, lime chicken, corn, onions, pico de gallo and vinagrette dressings. Robert died and went to heaven!
Having lunch Monday at Bajio's Mexican Restaurant in Riverwoods, we decided on a family home evening topic, taken primarily from Chapter 6 of "Preach My Gospel," page 126 on Christ-like attributes. Would it be that the whole world, not just our family, would strive for this traits in our daily lives.

Dear Family, Good Family Home Evening-and once again Happy New Year, may it be the best!

Our Heavenly Father seems to have set no limits on what He is willing to teach us and give us. We are the only ones who set limits--through our neglect or disobedience or ignorance.

We are in large measure the ones who determine what we will learn and experience in mortality, and what we will receive eternally.

We need not be perfect. Jesus wants us to come to him as we are. But, we need to approach him, even with our imperfections, and he will assist us in overcoming them.

He is our teacher, mentor, and example. By examining Jesus' life we can learn what attributes we need to work on to grow spiritually.

Each of us will have different areas to work on but we can help each other.

This week we start with trait #1 FAITH:

How would you answer the following 1=never 2=sometimes 3=often 4=almost always 5=always

--1. I believe in Christ and accept Him as my Savior. (2 Nephi 25:29)
--2. I feel confident that God loves me. (1 Nephi 11:17)
--3. I trust the Savior enough to accept His will and do whatever He asks. (1 Nephi 3:7)
--4. I firmly believe that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ I can be forgiven of all my sins. (Enos 1:5-8)
--5. I have enough faith in Christ to obtain answers to my prayers. (Mosiah 27:14)
--6. I think about the Savior during the day and remember what He has done for me. (D&C 20:77,79)
--7. I have the faith necessary to help make good things happen in my life or the lives of others. (Ether 12:12)
--8. I know by the power of the Hold Ghost that the Book of Mormon is true. (Moroni 10:3-5)
--9. I have enough faith in Christ to accomplish anything He wants me to do--even miracles if necessary. (Moroni 7:33)

The Lord will teach us directly as much truth as we are worthy and willing to learn. "And the Spirit shall be given unto you by the prayer of faith . . ."

We think of you every day, and you are always in our prayers.

Love, Mom and Dad, Robert and Shauna Valentine

xxoo

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hummmm
I love mexican food!
Unfortunately the nearest mexican restaurant is about 40 minutes from my house...
:/
I even got hungry after seeing those pics!
haha
xoxoxoxoxo

January 21, 2008 at 11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home